Ecclesiastes 3:2 - A reflection on beginnings, endings, and the legacy God grows in between
There are verses in Scripture that make us pause - not because they're complicated, but because they're honest. Ecclesiastes 3:2 is one of them.
"A time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to harvest." ~Ecclesiastes 3:2 (ESV)
Birth and death. Beginnings and endings. Joy and sorrow. Hope and grief.
Two moments that feel worlds apart, yet God holds both with the same steady hand.
I used to read this verse and think only of the extremes - the first breath and the last. But if life has a way of teaching us that beginnings and endings aren't just events. They're seasons. They're transitions. They're moments where God writes something new, even when the page feels fragile.
I learned this in a very real way when my youngest daughter, Madison Rose, was born.
She arrived a bit early - 35 weeks - tiny, fragile, and fighting to breathe. Those first hours were terrifying. She needed a ventilator. Her left lung collapsed. She was whisked away to the NICU in Louisville while I was still in the hospital in Southern Indiana, unable to get to her, unable to hold her, unable to do anything but pray. On the day she collapsed her lung, my husband was in the waiting room trying to get to her when everything went wrong, and I remember feeling helpless in a way I had never felt before.Those eight days felt like a lifetime then and a lifetime away now.
But even in that fragile beginning, God was teaching me something: life starts small, but small beginnings don't stay small when God is involved.
Madison came home. She grew. She strengthened. She became the trailblazer she is today - bold, determined, full of fire and purpose.
Her beginning was tiny, but her impact is anything but.
And that's the perspective Ecclesiastes 3:2 invites us into.
Birth is not just the start of life. Death is not just the end of it. Everything in between - the growing, the stretching, the becoming - is where legacy is formed.
David put it like this:
"You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed." ~Psalms 139:16 (ESV)
Every beginning. Every ending. Every chapter in between. God writes all of them with intention.
And we are reminded in John that even death is not final for those in Christ.
"Jesus told her, 'I am the resurrection and the life. Anyone who believes in me will live, even after dying.'" ~John 11:25 (ESV)
Beginnings matter. Endings matter. But what God grows in the middle - that's where legacy lives.
When I think of Madison's start, I don't think of fear anymore. I think of perspective. I think of how God uses the smallest beginnings to grow strength, courage, and purpose. I think of how He takes fragile moments and turns them into testimonies.
And sister, He does the same in your life.
Maybe you're:
- in a beginning that feels small or uncertain.
- in an ending that feels heavy or unexpected.
- somewhere in the middle, trying to understand what God is growing in you.
A prayer for perspective
Lord,thank You for the seasons You give us - the beginnings that feel fragile, the endings that feel heavy, and the middle places where You grow our legacy. Give us the perspective to see Your hand in every chapter. Strengthen us when beginnings feel small. Comfort us when endings feel painful. And remind us that You are writing a story of our lives that carries purpose, hope, and eternal impact.~Amen

No comments:
Post a Comment