A gentle, sisterly walk into the seasons God gives us.
There are passages in Scripture that feel less like teachings and more like invitations - places where God sits beside us, not above us, and whispers, "Let's walk through this together." Ecclesiastes 3 has always felt like one of those passages to me. '
"For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven." ~Ecclesiastes 3:1
When I read those words, I don't hear a lecture. I hear a reminder - one I need just as much as anyone else - that life moves in rhythms God understands even when we don't.
And lately, I've been living in a season that has held waiting, hope, and heartbreak all at once.
Walking through a season you didn't choose
Some seasons we step into willingly. Others... we're pushed into.When my aunt went missing, we lived in that suspended place between hope and dread for two years. And when the call finally came - when we learned that the partial remains found were hers - there was a moment where everything inside me went quiet.
We had all known, somewhere deep down. But knowing... really knowing... was different.
It was shock. It was raw emotion. It was the ache of watching my cousin join me in the "My momma's in Heaven" club - a club no one wants to belong to.
And in moments like that, Ecclesiastes 3 feels less like poetry and more like a lifeline.
"A time to cry and a time to laugh. A time to grieve and a time to dance." ~Ecclesiastes 3:4
Grief has its time. So does comfort. And somehow, God holds both.
Learning to trust the season you're in
I haven't always embraced the seasons God placed me in. When we were transitioning from Florida to South Carolina and then from South Carolina to New York and back, I resisted the idea that this was where God wanted us to lay down roots. I kept thinking my season should look different... feel different... unfold different.
But God has a way of making His timing unmistakable.
For us, it looked like peace settling in unexpectedly. It looked like provision showing up in ways we couldn't have orchestrated. It looked like clarity arriving right when we needed it. It looked like a 3-bedroom opening up at exactly the right moment - not a day too early, not a day too late.
"Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God's work from beginning to end." ~Ecclesiastes 3:11
I'll be honest: it's hard to see beauty in grie3ving. But I can see beauty in knowing my Aunt Evelyn is with Jesus... and with my mom. And that comforts me in ways words can't fully capture.
Why Ecclesiastes 3 matters for us
This chapter matters because it reminds us that God is present in every season, event he ones we never wanted. It matters because it tells us:
- God is not random
- God is not late
- God is not silent
- God is not careless
A prayer for the Season we're in
Lord, help us trust the season You've placed us in - even when it hurts, even when it stretches us, even when we don't understand it. help us see Your presence in the waiting, Your comfort in the places we never expected to find it. Teach us to walk gently with You through every rhythm You've written into our lives.
Amen
Next Week: There is a time for everything
We'll continue walking through the opening declaration of Ecclesiastes 3 - and explore how it shapes the way we see every moment of our lives.


No comments:
Post a Comment